Thursday, July 25, 2013

Hmmmmm...Wonder Where This Is Going



I have been making blocks for a mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter, Lazy Sunday, published in four parts in Quiltmaker magazine. Part 4, in the September/October issue, is due out any day. I have finished this part just in the nick of time. There are 156 purple ziz zag blocks and 28 of the larger yellow and orange blocks in this step. Other than cutting the turquoise squares for the center of the blocks, all of the other parts and pieces were made in previous steps. This step was largely a matter of sewing the blocks together nine-patch fashion.

In a fit of madness, I decided to save the triangles that were cut off from the stitch and flip method of making the zig zag blocks. Those are also now sewn together into pairs to make very small half square triangle patches. Doll quilt, anyone?

This is a scrap quilt - after all, Bonnie is not known as the Scrap Queen for nothing - and all of the fabric has come from my stash with a little help from my friends. I am rather proud of myself for keeping up with the steps in this project. This is no doubt due to the fact that there are two months between each issue. The layout above is wild guess as I have no idea where this is going. Bonnie is very good at devising mystery quilts that keep everyone guessing right up until the last minute.

Bonnie has organized a mystery quilt for the past several years and has promised us another beginning in November. The steps appear weekly on her blog, Quiltville. The last one, Easy Street, will be published in her newest book due out next year. Here is how mine turned out:


The top is now totally sewn together, including outer borders, and is patiently waiting to be taken to the long arm quilter. It has a lot of company in the closet.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for keeping up with this mystery! I was simply too busy to join in, but, I have all of the magazines so I can make it if I want to. Your Easy Street looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. BTW, what have you been up to? haven't seen a post recently.

      Delete
  2. this is a masterpiece, your blogs are so inspiring, something for me to dream of achieving one day! Will check out the magazine, there seem to be so many quilting ones on the market at the moment, I usually get popular patchwork (British) as it has full size patterns in, have stopped buying anything that has to be blown up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to get nearly every quilting magazine available here in the U.S. The foreign ones - Quiltmania, Australian Patchwork - were my favorites. Eventually I let all the subscriptions lapse as I seldom if ever made any of the patterns. I still get Quilter's Newsletter and the AQS (American Quilt Society)one since it comes with membership.I pick up Quiltmania when I come across it, but with the demise of brick and mortar bookstores, that is becoming a rare event. If you are not familiar with Bonnie Hunter's web site, you should be. She has a tab with many free quilt patterns: www.quiltville.com or click on the red heart icon to the right and above.

      Delete