Bonnie revealed the solution to this year's mystery quilt, En Provence. I was so excited that I quickly made up a few of the remaining blocks so I could make one 15" star block from the quilt. There are enough errors in this block to require an hour's worth of reverse sewing. Haste definitely makes waste. This is as far as I got on En Provence. There are a few more blocks sewn and a couple of sashing pieces, but nothing is sewn together yet. To see all the other fabulous finishes, visit Bonnie's Myster Monday Link-Up.
I made up one block from the airplane quilt in Bill Volkening's "Modern Roots" book. The tail portion of the block involves appliqueing a triangle onto a dark rectangle. I want to be able to quickly machine piece this and also feel that a pieced section for the tail will be more durable in the long run. I drafted a simple paper-pieced pattern that was easy to make. The original is a vintage pattern and was made with the appliqued pieces. There are also circles appliqued onto the wings, but it reminds me too much of the rising sun emblem on Japanese war planes. I will be leaving those off as well unless I can find a good photo of the US Air Force emblem and if so, might use that instead.