Sunday, April 28, 2013

Fiddling Around


One block eliminated, a new one added (top left), and everything rearranged. Better. Getting there.

Some of the participant's in Grandmother's Choice Block of the Week have been constructing their quilts as they go along. I am still deciding on a layout. Tending towards an on point medallion type of thing. Very early stages. Anyway here's a peek at some of the blocks laid out. The alternate squares would actually be half square triangles with a light and a dark side. No doubt I am making this harder than it needs to be but just sewing all the blocks next to each other with sashing and cornerstones seems so ho hum.


 I can see by this photo that the light background fabrics need to have more oomph. The upper two thirds of the blocks have Kaffe Fassett's Aboriginal Dots in white with blue dots. The bottom one third has Kaffe's Spot fabric which is white with light aqua dots. I like the very bottom dark purple fabric for some of the dark triangles, but it's all very much subject to change as things evolve. As Monica has mentioned so wisely, blogging has turned out to be a great editing and design tool. Who knew? I certainly didn't.


4 comments:

  1. These blocks are lovely. Visually they are like looking down a tunnel--great sense of depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's largely play and a firm hand in editing to get what I produce in "play" to work. The extras, being as thick as they are, will be trivets or something. Of course, this is keeping me from working on a baby quilt, which is what stands between me and Jack. How is yours coming, by the way?

      Delete
  2. I have been finding that Aboriginal Dots is a challenging fabric. It is practically a solid, and it doesn't play well with my other Kaffe fabrics. In your photo too I prefer the Spots.

    I didn't quite understand your HST plans, but I do like this on-point "sampler" approach with just the Spot fabric in the background. The purple fabric will be perfect too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will send you an email with my inspiration photo. You will see that the alternate squares are half light and half dark. I quite like the effect, but it will be a challenge to find the right fabrics.

      Delete