Monday, December 24, 2018

Good Fortune Clue #5

Merry Christmas to all! Every week we are getting closer to the big reveal in Bonnie Hunter's 2018 Winter Mystery. I was able to complete clue #5 with no problems on the day (evening, actually) that the clue was revealed. I wanted to use the Essentrial Triangle ruler, but couldn't find it so I resorted to the "old school" method of using the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers. It worked out fine. I am subbing yellow to gold fabrics for the orange that Bonnie is using and dark green for her blue. I am hoping for a quilt with a Christmasy vibe. Here is my completed clue #5 shown with the other four clues. I am pleased with the colors. This should make a nice Christmas themed quilt.


I am linking up with others who are posting at Bonnie's web site. Click here to look at what others have accomplished this week.

I continue to make blocks for the Virginia Bound quilt being made for a relative, using shirts from her late husband. It is an easy process to make these blocks, albeit not terribly fast. Now that there are six stars completed, the secondary pattern made by the light triangles has appeared.


This pattern is in Bonnie Hunter's book, Scraps and Shirttails (the first one, not Scraps and Shirttails II), and is the very first pattern in the book. The second pattern, Cactus Patch, has also captured my eye and I am getting sucked into making that next. I sewed up a test block last night to see if I like it and I do! The centers of the blocks are 4" finished scrappy string pieced blocks. After the Christmas festivities are over  I will pull out my treadle to complete the blocks needed for the quilt. Last night I used the Pfaff sewing machine to make 8 of the 4" blocks which work up very quickly. I really enjoy treadling, so will put off making the remainder until Wednesday when I can use the treadle and not worry about the mess that will be made in the living room, where the treadle lives. Here's the "test" block.


I haven't seen this pattern shown in Bonnie's Show & Tell sessions at the various places she has taught workshops. Pinterest only has a few pics as well and several of the photos are actually from Bonnie's web site or book. There hasn't been many (if any) requests for workshops for this quilt either. At least that I can find. Maybe it's not one that Bonnie offers for workshops.I did find a few references to this quilt on Bonnie Quiltville blog, including the original antique quilt that was her inspiration.

Bonnie's instructions indicate the the half square triangles can go any which way. That combined with the string pieced centers make for a relaxing project. Her instructions call for the conventional method of add 7/8" to the finished size for cutting the strips to make the half square triangle patches. Using her updated way of making these, I was able to use strips cut 1/2" larger than the finished size and cut the triangles with her Essential Triangle ruler.



4 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your blog from today's link up at Quiltville. I am dong the mystery for the first time and wasn't brave enough to change colors...but I think your Christmas idea is brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Mary Ellen -- congrats on keeping up with your mystery quilt clues. I'll be playing with the colors come January but in a different project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mystery parts AND Virginia Bound are looking good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mystery colour scheme looks good! I'm looking forward to seeing how all these pieces go together.

    ReplyDelete