Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Productive Workshop

Our guild hosted a Judy Niemeyer paper-piecing workshop today. I was able to complete four blocks in the class and two more this evening at home. The blocks are not at all difficult and it was fun to see the colors and patterns emerge.

Thursday, August 7, 2014

Mizzou Quilted!

Mizzou is quilted, bound, labeled, washed and dried. Ready for gifting on Saturday. Some of my favorite Grunge fabric is in the first gold strip at the top of the quilt.

Closeup of the fusible appliques with the Mizzou tiger and university logo.

Tiger stripes for the backing.

The quilting follows the lines of the chevrons, so it was nothing complicated. The lines of quilting are about 1" apart and the new Bernina performed flawlessly without the aid of a walking foot. 

I have been cutting fabric in preparation for a Judy Niemeyer workshop on Saturday with my guild. Today I will gather up all the supplies I need. I am only lacking template plastic. There is usually some on hand in my sewing room, but the piece is not large enough so off to the store after lunch. I will also be picking up batting for the two QOVs that need to be quilted prior to September's meeting.

While in Cedar Rapids recently for a Ricky Tims Super Seminar, the latest Ricky project, "Lady of Shallott" was on display. The colors are gorgeous, and really, nothing is a good substitute for seeing one of these projects up close and personal. Mine was ordered today. With the new Bernina I have confidence that I can complete this project.

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Ready to Quilt

The quilt for my niece's dorm room is ready to quilt. Slight mishap with the dang cat. Even though I gave Mickey a nice fat pile of batting scraps to lie in and play with, he jumped onto the back and batting all nicely spray basted and proceeded to claw a hole in the batting. Grrr. I was able to spray baste the chunk back into place and no one will be the wiser (I hope). So you know what I'll be doing the next few days. Chained to my  new Bernina! I want this finished to be able to give to my niece to take to college. Deadline is Sunday, August 10.

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July Hexie BOM

The July Hexie BOM is finished just in the nick of time. I seem to be able to procrastinate by visiting quilt stores, pawing my fabric stash, reading quilting magazines, and surfing the net. Otherwise I have been slogging away on the dorm quilt for my niece. Pics soon as the top is sewn together completely.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Blocks from Bonnie's Workshop

Here are the blocks I made in the Crumbs workshop with Bonnie Hunter last Friday in Champaign, IL. It was a day of total fun and play. No stress. The workshop was hosted by the Illini Country Quilt Guild. A big thank you to them for allowing non-members into the workshops and lecture. It's a great group of ladies and I had a wonderful time. If you ever get the chance to take a workshop with Bonnie, do so. You will not be disappointed.

Bonnie suggested using the blocks to make a baby quilt and I think it's a super idea, don't you?

Friday, July 25, 2014

Awesome Teacher and Workshop

I had the good fortune of attending a Bonnie Hunter lecture and workshop last night and today. Bonnie is a fantastic teacher and just as nice in person as one might expect by experiencing her online presence.The workshop I took was the Crumbs workshop. We made wonky stars, folksy hearts, string/crazy pieced blocks, and free form letters. It was all play and fun and no stress. When I get my blocks unpacked, I will post some photos of what I learned and made. In the meantime, here are a few photos from among the many I took last night of Bonnie's quilts. The photo on the table above is from "Ring Around the Hexies" which Bonnie co-authored with Mickey Depre.

Hawk's Nest from "Scraps and Shirttails II".

Virginia Bound from "Scraps and Shirttails".

Lazy Sunday mystery quilt published in Quiltmaker magazine in 2013.

Midnight Flight from "More Adventures with Leaders and Enders"

Lucy's Baskets from "More Adventures with Leaders and Enders"

Winston Ways from "More Adventures with Leaders and Enders"

Sister's Choice - free pattern at quiltville/

Yes, I know, there are three quilts pictured with no name. I have to get to my quilt books to find out what the names are and when I do, they will be posted.

UPDATE: Finally found the book I was looking for and the names of the quilts have been added.

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Out of the Box

Out of the box. Up and running. Finishing up a QOV. So much fun to sew on this machine.

And here is the first quilt top I completed with the new machine.

There may be some rail fence blocks that went in the "wrong" way, but honestly, I can't tell. There is supposedly a pattern, but I can't see it. I will be quilting this top and the first QOV quilt I made on the new Bernina. While at the Ricky Tims Super Seminar in Cedar Rapids last week, one of the sponsors of the event was Pine Needles quilt store. I found two different spools of thread at Pine Needles in a red, white, and blue colorway that will be used to quilt these tops. If you ever find yourself in Cedar Rapids, IA, treat yourself and visit this store. The selection and customer service are top notch.

I taught myself to free motion quilt - more or less. The results were not always what I had hoped for. The new machine has a stitch regulator and I am hoping it will make a difference in the quality of my quilting. Some quilters have said that once they learned to free motion quilt, using a stitch regulator messed them up. I will report back on my experience with the gadget.