Monday, November 19, 2018

Projects on the Design Wall

Our guild makes "tummy time" quilts for a local organization, Nurses for Newborns. The visiting nurses include these small quilts (24" x 36") in the items they take when visiting a new mother for the first time. Since babies now sleep on their backs, they sometimes do not get enough "tummy time" which helps to strengthen their necks and upper back. These are the ideal size for newborns and they are also small enough to tuck into a diaper bag. The moms can use them in public restrooms to cover the baby changing table as well (I wonder how often those things are cleaned) as using them as a cuddle quilt in the car.

I have lost track of how many I have made. Probably upwards of 50. This is the latest one. The green dog fabric has been in my stash for years, dating back to when I first started quilting and thought collecting dog and cat fabric was just the ticket. The small Chinese coin strips are cutoffs from a raffle quilt I recently finished for the guild to donate to the retreat center we use each fall. The backing and binding fabric is the very last bit of a bolt of fabric I bought when a quilt shop near me closed years ago. The print has the name of many different dog breeds printed on it. Other than my time in making it, this cost me nothing and used up some fabrics that needed some love.


I recently acquired Pamela Goecke Dinsdorf's  (Aardvark Quilts) latest book, "Parallel Lines." This is the cover quilt and it is hand appliqued. Very easy because the curves are gentle and the pieces are large, about 10" in length. The book is published by Quiltmania, which means that although the quality is good, the book is pricier than normal. And now I can't find it. It's here somewhere (I hope) although I have taken it to guild meetings and gatherings with friends, so it could have been left behind somewhere. I don't think so because my name and address are on the inside cover and I would like to think that someone would have found it and let me know.


I collected as many striped fabrics as I could find at a recent quilt show in Springfield, MO. The blocks are on the wall in no particular order. I just threw them up there as I finished them. If memory serves, the pattern calls for 24 blocks, each with two of the "petals". After the blocks are sewn together, the horizontal pieces (just pinned on at present) are appliqued over the horizontal seams. The books is wonderful and as the title implies, features projects made with striped fabrics. I love nearly every single one in the book and frankly don't think there is a dud among them.

2 comments:

  1. I do hope you find your book!! And those little quilts are wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The small size of the baby quilts lets me use up leftovers or try a new block or technique without a big use of time or materials. Win-win for me and the babies.

      Delete