Monday, November 28, 2016

En Provence - And So It Begins

For the fifth year in a row, I am jumping into Bonnie Hunter's annual mystery quilt. Bonnie provides this mystery for free to her blog readers to thank them for being loyal followers. The inspiration for this year's mystery is Provence - specifically the lavender fields of Provence. The colors are yummy - purple, green, yellow, lilac, magenta and neutrals, of course. The first clue was posted last Friday. We are to make 221 scrappy neutral four-patches which finish at 3 inches. I was able to complete this clue by noon Sunday. This photo shows 90 of the blocks but rest assured that all 221 are finished and "in the bag." They are just more of the same, so I didn't pull them all out for the photo.

If you would like to see what others have made, head on over to Bonnie's blog for linky Monday.

I haven't blogged in a while, as several of you have noticed. It's really nice that someone actually notices. Nothing amiss at this end, just busy and frankly a bit lazy. Our guild's quilt show is fast approaching in March and the deadline for registering quilts for the show is mid-January. I have been busy doing mundane things such as sewing quilt backs, and making labels and hanging sleeves.

In addition to that, I began another double wedding ring quilt ala Victoria Findlay Wolfe. Again, it has a Halloween theme. I belonged to a block exchange group for several years and literally have a large box full of blocks in themed sets of 13. I pulled out the best of the Halloween ones and set to work incorporating them into the quilt as the centers of the rings.I could make at least a dozen others with blocks ranging from coffee and tea cups with wedges of cake to flowers to various animals. Should I choose to do so, that is. This is partially sewn together but will not be as elaborately finished as the first one, i.e., no piping around the outside and probably no border either.

I took another class in Paducah in October with Katie Pasquini Masopust. We used photographs for color inspiration and placement within the small wall hanging we made. I finished the binding on mine this evening.

I still am working on figuring our where I am going with the Dresden plates I started so long ago. I have decided that they need a lot more color. More of the yellow for sure and some brighter turquoise.

There are also two challenges to be finished for the quilt show. They are so unformed at this points that there is no point in showing a photo.