Sunday, December 4, 2016

En Provence Clue #2


I finished quilting this top today using an idea from Pinterest for the straight line quilting. It was a little tricky because the original photo I saw was a square quilt. This one is not, as you can see and the quilting came out a little different but okay. It's a baby quilt for a neighbor's granddaughter who is one year old. The top itself has been in the time out box for several years. The original pattern was in blue and green for a boy. It's supposed to have a transparency effect where the colored strips overlap in the center. I think only one of them is really successful, Maybe two - the bottom two. The others, not so much. I was working from stash and couldn't really get the effect I wanted with the fabrics I had. So I really disliked the top and made something else for the originally intended recipient. Now with the quilting, I feel it's good enough to gift. One UFO out the door.


Clue #2 of Bonnie Hunter's Mystery quilt was posted Friday. Yesterday I sewed at a friend's house with three others who were also working on the mystery quilt. This afternoon I was able to finish up, completing 100 triangle in a square blocks. They came out really nice and no sliver trimming, thank you very much, I really detest doing that. Measuring and cutting everything twice? No way. What a waste of time. With Bonnie's expert tutelage my piecing has really improved tremendously. No need for trimming. This is a sampling of the blocks I made with neutrals and magenta, the one constant fabric. Check out what others are doing with this mystery at  Bonnie's web site.

After lunch and trip to the grocery store, I plan on working on my Scrappy 3-D Stars that I began in a workshop with Teajuana Mahone two months ago! Here's my Optional Block for Friday's guild meeting and holiday party.


9 comments:

  1. The baby quilt is so colorful and cheery! I agree with you on Bonnie's tutelage. My piecing has improved so much since I have started following Bonnie as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is a beautiful magenta constant fabric you have there! Who is the designer?

    You are off to a great start, and it is nice to finish up that old UFO too. I'd love to chalk up a couple more finishes this year, but I don't know if that's realistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather Jones for Robert Kaufman. "Color Dash" is the name of the line.

      Delete
  3. liking the way thye fabrics overlap on the baby quilt works very well. Good to complete all those blocks I presume you had a special ruler if they needed no triming have never been successful at making triangkes wihout a trim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are using the Tri Recs rulers to make this blocks. See them here: http://www.nancysnotions.com/product/tri-recs+tools+acrylic+ruler.do

      Delete
  4. Fun quilting design - the "baby" will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a fan of trimming, either. Love my tri-recs rulers. (And all my other rulers, too!) Less trimming means more time for piecing!
    That really is a gorgeous print you've picked for your constant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your magenta constant for En Provence is spot-on...gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete