Monday, June 27, 2016

Trying to Stay Cool

It has been very hot here, but then it's the Midwest and it's almost July. Heat is to be expected. It's the humidity that's the killer, though. Yesterday the temperature was in the upper 90s and it rained twice. Very sticky. But, we have a well functioning A/C system, so all is frosty cool within. I started another small quilt for our guild's Comfort Quilt project using up some charm packs that have been ageing in a shoebox on an upper shelf. Out of sight, out of mind. Last week's trip to Hamilton, MO reminded me that there were quite a few precuts in my stash and that it was time to put them to good use.


Some simple broken dishes blocks make an easy small quilt.


I finished (or thought that I had) my hexie challenge quilt. It's all spray basted to the batting and backing and the edges are machine basted. And, guess what? It's not a hexie. It has 12 sides, not six. Sigh. Back to the drawing board. I think it can be saved by (hand) sewing six small black triangles where there are the blue edges. Not a big disaster, just a pain in the keester.

Off to the side you can see the X and O baby quilt. It is just about sewn together and will be ready for quilting soon.

4 comments:

  1. The heat makes me want to stay inside and sew! Of course, after I take care of my flock of chickens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I did not realize the whole quilt had to be a hexagon, too! But you are right, it is easily fixed. You could even sew stitch and flip black triangles right through all the layers, and then use a ruler to trip them down when you bind it. Depends on your quilting plan, I guess! Anyway, stay cool, I am looking forward to a break in the heat tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. liking the broken dishes oh dear never mind the 12 sides will soon be 6 with your back triangles, good you spotted it now before you completed it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats for using some of your stashed precuts. I agree - indoors is much better than outdoors these days.

    ReplyDelete