Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Rail Fences #1 and #2


Earlier this year, after the book, "Cultural Fusion" by Sujata Shah was published, I made this smaller version of her Rail Fence quilt. Being smack in the middle of finishing things to hang in our guild quilt show, I nonetheless was compelled to break away for long enough to make these twelve blocks.

Fast forward to this month, and our guild hosted Sujata as our August speaker. Wow! She gave us a wonderful evening with a PowerPoint presentation which included many photos of inspiration showing life in her native country of India. Following the slide show, was a trunk show of the quilts that are featured in "Cultural Fusion." It doesn't get much better than that!

But wait! There's more! The next day there was a workshop with Sujata and we all learned how to free form cut blocks for Rail Fence. Here's my progress so far:


I intend to make the full sized quilt this time - 30 blocks! I asked Sujata to pick fabric combos for two blocks, so this quilt will carry a bit of her own "hand". She selected the fabrics for the blocks in the top row, center and second row, right. The layout will also be different, maybe with the blocks radiating out from the center, rather than stair steps as shown here.

These blocks are being cut with a gentler curve than #1.  After hearing Sujata's presentation, I realized that the idea is to show the human hand in the making rather than just to go all wonky and wild. That said, the wonky and wild Rail Fences that have appeared on the web are uber-cool, too. Sujata is a humble person; her warmth and humanity are apparent to all who come into contact with her. If you have the opportunity to hear her speak, or better yet take a workshop with her, do not hesitate. I hope that we see more from this talented designer in the future.

To see more about Sujata, here is a link to her blog, Root Connections , and to the Rail Fence Quilt-Along.

8 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to see this quilt evolve. In my experience it changes colors as you progress, new combinations come in play and with that quilt changes personality too. Both, #1 and #2 are winners here!
    Thank you for your wonderful post. Loved being there... every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I an realizing how the character of the project evolves as each new block joins the rest. Keeps me really interested in completing the quilt.

      Delete
  2. sounds like a good time and to see all her quilts from the book a bonus, like the rail fence and hope to see all 30 blocks completed soon no pressure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these blocks! Having seen all the railfence quilts popping up online, I am definitely going to order a copy of this book. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at the workshop too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful ME! I wish I had known, I would have loved to come for her presentation and workshop! I guess I need to join your guild! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would really have enjoyed her presentation. The workshop was killer!

      Delete
  5. Very COol quilts! Your fabrics are really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alycia. It's a very enjoyable way to work.

      Delete