Saturday, November 22, 2014

Baby's First Christmas Quilt




This is a baby quilt for my neighbor's baby, a little boy, born this past February. The pattern is Dapper Canon from "Simply Retro" by Camille Roskelley. I have already made this quilt once in another colorway and liked it enough to make it again. It goes together easily and quickly. The fabrics are from Storybook by Kate and Birdie for Moda Fabrics.

I have been plugging away at my English paper pieced hexagons as well as the Lady of Shalott quilt by Ricky Tims. That one is a chore for me at present as I labor away at the tiny blanket stitching that goes around each and every applique - and the thing is covered in it. I am looking forward to next Friday when I give dive head first into Bonnie Hunter's Grand Illusion mystery quilt for 2014.

6 comments:

  1. That's a great baby quilt ME! What a thoughtful gesture! I am literally giddy over starting the mystery next week! YAHOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice baby quilt, sounds as though you are not enjoying your hexies, i find them so relaxing to do, once they are cut out, that is the part I do not enjoy. Looking forward to seeing your applique quilt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margaret, i gave you the wrong impression if you think I don't enjoy the hexies. I do! Very much. It's just that I need 70+ diamonds of 25 hexies each. That's a lot of hexies and it's not very interesting to show piles of hexies, even when they are sewn together!

      Delete
  3. Yes, that's an excellent design for a baby quilt, it would be fun in lots of different colours. Great job!

    If you get most of the blanket stitching done now, before you break for Bonnie's quilt, it will seem like a piece of cake to finish when you come back to it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree about the blanket stitching - getting it done and all. But I also need to work on the challenge quilt for my guild's upcoming show in March. I already had the idea and made a good start on it yesterday and today. It needs finishing touches and the quilting and binding (I may just do a pillow finish where you stitch around the outside and turn it inside out), but it's quite small - something like 24"X16" so it's not too much work. Today I want to cut some fabric and get started on baby quilt #2.

      Delete