Thursday, October 16, 2014

Ready for Bonnie


I'm ready for Bonnie Hunter's "Grand Illusion" mystery quilt. The first clue will be posted on Friday, November 28, 2014. All the introductory information is here. Fabrics, with the exception of the yellow yardage, were pulled from my stash. Truth be told, I could have pulled that as well but Bonnie is using one fabric for the yellow in the mystery quilt, so I decided to do the same. That required a small bit of fabric shopping while I was away in San Diego. Bonnie Hunter was in San Diego during the week I was there, but with all there was to do at my brother's house, I didn't feel I wanted to take the time to attend her lectures. I will catch up with her next fall when she will be here in St. Louis in conjunction with the Quintessential Quilt Show put on by Circle in the Square Quilt Guild.

Back in May I had visited my brother in the East Bay of northern California to help with packing up and moving to southern California. This trip was to help him and his wife unpack. It was a big job and we didn't get accomplished as much as I had hoped. It's trickier unpacking than packing in some ways. Decisions about where things need to go have to be done by the people living in the house. Then, just when you think you have figured it out, another box is opened and you have to rethink what you just did. Sometimes things have to be moved again to make a sensible arrangement.

I did of lot of citrus picking and eating, though. There are 30 fruit trees on my brother's property. Mostly they are citrus of every type plus five avocado trees. We ate fresh grapefruit every morning. Sometimes as a snack again in the afternoon. Limes for beverages. And the promise of many juicy mornings to come as soon as the navel oranges ripen in January.

The days were sunny and warm with misty mornings and cool nights. Perfect weather. Except for the lack of rain.

4 comments:

  1. You have some juicy fabrics there too, for the next mystery quilt. I didn't read all her instructions -- is she giving you the option for a smaller quilt again? I am always amazed at how much sewing she expects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. some lovely fabric there, I am not taking this challenge on but will be following you on your journey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started my blog two years ago to be able to share my progress on the first Bonnie mystery quilt I made. There will be weekly postings of my progress this year, too.

      Delete
  3. Can't wait to get started on this year's mystery! Of course, I am doing a patriotic color theme again. Your fabrics look luscious..... a lot like the citrus you partook of in California!

    ReplyDelete