Wednesday, August 27, 2014
I have been working on several things as once - no surprise there. I made these three string pieced blocks last night as samples for a QOV project that our guild is doing. The hope is that it will spur guild members to make these simple blocks in between or along with their other projects and donate them each month at meetings. When it's time to construct our quilts, those who wish may make use of the blocks for the QOV they are making. Sometimes people just need a "visual."
This is my August hexie blog that is featured at The Hexie Blog. As you can see, I had to truncate my sunflower by omitting the six outermost hexies in order for the flower to fit onto the background fabric. It looks from the photo as though there is plenty of room, but I haven't cut the background down to 15.5" yet. If I do that, then the edges of the flower will be at or on the seam line. Others making this project have had the same problem. Not quite sure what the issue is, but I like mine better anyway. Seems more sunflower-like.
Lastly, here is the first strip from a new hand applique project I started from "Savor Each Stitch" by Carolyn Friedlander. There are several projects in the book that are appealing to me, not the least because, although they are "modern", many are hand appliqued. So, the best of two worlds as far as I am concerned. The circles are freehand cut and needle turn appliqued. She says in the book that the variations thus produced add to the charm. Maybe it's just me, but I think that I will try using a template for the next strip. The first two circles on the left were cut without templates as suggested in the book. The others were cut using a large spool as a template and I simply drew around the spool on the fabric, rough cut with scissors, and needle turned them onto the strip. The "variations" don't look all that charming to me, especially once the circles were more or less uniform in size and shape. Then the "variations" really stand out. Plus they aren't really straight down the middle of the strip either. Live and learn. Pressing on....
Sunday, August 24, 2014
This is my very discriminating helper, Charley. He is a very affectionate feline and loves to roll around in the scraps. I had dumped out a bag of strips, scraps, and crumbs on to the floor as I dug around for small bits for a new applique project. My daughter's dog went home today after 9 days of dog sitting. I think Charley is just so happy to see the back end of that canine for awhile that he was rolling in ecstasy in the fabric scraps. Our other feline, Mickey, aka "Mr. Excitement" (due to his predilection for bringing live prey into the house), made friends with Striker. I wouldn't exactly call it a love affair, but they got along. Charley not so much.
Saturday, August 23, 2014
Thursday, August 21, 2014
I have started quilting the New York Beauty top that I started back in May in a workshop with Linda Hahn. I am practicing free motion quilting and it's certainly true that practice makes perfect. Well, at least makes better.
Also coming slowly along are the paper-pieced blocks of my Judy Niemeyer Stepping Stones project. The weather has once again turned seasonal here, which is to say it is very hot (95 degrees and higher) and humid. It is August in the Midwest and this type of weather is to be expected.
Saturday, August 9, 2014
Thursday, August 7, 2014
Mizzou is quilted, bound, labeled, washed and dried. Ready for gifting on Saturday. Some of my favorite Grunge fabric is in the first gold strip at the top of the quilt.
Closeup of the fusible appliques with the Mizzou tiger and university logo.
Tiger stripes for the backing.
The quilting follows the lines of the chevrons, so it was nothing complicated. The lines of quilting are about 1" apart and the new Bernina performed flawlessly without the aid of a walking foot.
I have been cutting fabric in preparation for a Judy Niemeyer workshop on Saturday with my guild. Today I will gather up all the supplies I need. I am only lacking template plastic. There is usually some on hand in my sewing room, but the piece is not large enough so off to the store after lunch. I will also be picking up batting for the two QOVs that need to be quilted prior to September's meeting.
While in Cedar Rapids recently for a Ricky Tims Super Seminar, the latest Ricky project, "Lady of Shallott" was on display. The colors are gorgeous, and really, nothing is a good substitute for seeing one of these projects up close and personal. Mine was ordered today. With the new Bernina I have confidence that I can complete this project.
Saturday, August 2, 2014
The quilt for my niece's dorm room is ready to quilt. Slight mishap with the dang cat. Even though I gave Mickey a nice fat pile of batting scraps to lie in and play with, he jumped onto the back and batting all nicely spray basted and proceeded to claw a hole in the batting. Grrr. I was able to spray baste the chunk back into place and no one will be the wiser (I hope). So you know what I'll be doing the next few days. Chained to my new Bernina! I want this finished to be able to give to my niece to take to college. Deadline is Sunday, August 10.