Friday, May 9, 2014
After a long time in the time out box, Outback Stars is finished. The pattern is by Fons & Porter and was printed in their magazine many moons ago. I had completed approximately half the blocks, but the tedium of dealing with all the small pieces, my inexpert cutting and sewing skills, and my dissatisfaction with the results, practically made time out inevitable. My husband asked if I was ever going to finish his quilt. So, out of the closet it came. I started this it at least 6 to 8 years ago and am happy to say that my skills have progressed since then. That's the good news. The bad news is that the old blocks were not square, were not the proper size, and were just not very good. The new blocks - while not perfect - were at least the correct size more or less. That made the process of putting it all together more difficult that it should have been. There are places where the seams don't align. I am okay with that. It is busy enough that it is not immediately apparent.
Sandi Wagner longarm quilted it for me with orange thread in an all-over organic pattern of leaves and twigs. I am very pleased with it. It goes with me to guild tonight for show and tell. The name derives from the focus fabric which is Australian with aboriginal motifs.