Thursday, March 13, 2014

U-Turn and Cat Shampoos



I sewed down the binding last night to finish this quilt, destined to be given to the Annie Malone Children's Home at tomorrow night's guild meeting. The pattern is "U-Turn" by Kristi Daum at St. Louis Folk Victorian. The fabric is Comma from the Zen Chic line of fabrics designed by Brigitte Heitland. The fabric was purchased at my LQS, Janie Lou. I quilted it on my home sewing machine with cream thread in the top and dark avocado green in the bobbin, which matches the backing fabric. This is very simple straight line (well, more or less) quilting in an allover two inch grid.

I was a volunteer pattern tester for Kristi, which was an easy job. The directions were error-free, the pattern simple yet graphic, and the sewing straightforward. There is nary a pastel, pink, purple, or floral fabric in the quilt making it quite suitable for a young man. This is one of the few non-scrappy quilts I have made lately and is due to the fact that I am totally smitten with this line of fabric. It came out more than a year ago, so is fading fast from shop shelves. Every last bit has been hoarded, cut up, and stowed away in my *somewhat* organized scrap drawers.



What's this about cat shampoos you ask? Here is Texas Charley, aka Fatso or just plain Charley, after his spring shampoo. He wasn't as dirty as might have been expected given that the last time he was washed was last year around this time and shortly after we acquired him. I only shampoo the cats rarely as supposedly it is not good for their skin to be washed frequently. I used an organic, slightly lavender scented, mild shampoo formulated for cats. Jade, my small female tortoise shell, also received her annual beauty treatment. Alas no photos of her as she is hiding somewhere drying off. They get rather vigorously towel dried, but, that said, they are still pretty wet and need a good hour before they are anywhere close to being completely dry. Years ago I dried my cats with a hair dryer, but it is unnecessarily traumatic for them. Between the noise of the dryer and trying not to get the dryer so close that it was uncomfortably warm for them, it is just as well to let them finish drying themselves. Which they are now assiduously doing.

Two down, one to go. The largest - and normally the dirtiest -of the three, Mickey, and the only one allowed outdoors, is left to do. Maybe this afternoon. I have to return some books to the library and then head over to the hardware store for paint samples.

Welcome to my latest follower, Carlain!

Time for lunch now.

6 comments:

  1. I love that pattern by Krisit, and that fabric line is PERFECT for it! Great job ME! Yep, it's time for those beauty treatments for the owners of the house again! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. the u turn design is eye catching and colourful. Can imagine it is quite a struggle to bath a cat, those claws ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the cat baths. I have done it many times. The trick is to hold them by the scruff of the neck. They go more or less limp and you can proceed with the washing, albeit one-handed.

      Delete
  3. LOL, yes, poor Charley looks pretty disgruntled. Oh well, I'm sure he's back to himself by now!

    Great design, and I love those fabrics too. I hope it will be well appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a really cute quilt! Some kid's gonna be very happy! About the cat drying--my goofy Mr. Fang LOVES the blow dryer (although I never bathe him). When he hears the blow dryer fire up (as I'm drying MY hair), he comes running and jumps up on the counter. He loves to be blown a little (likes the warmth, I guess) and will sit there and let me blow dry him for as long as I want! HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are funny. Yours is the first one I have heard that likes the hair dryer.

      Delete