Monday, November 18, 2013

Grandmother's Choice Revisited



Finally got around to putting the first border on Grandmother's Choice. The top is hanging upside down on the wall, but you get the idea.

Today I also was able to get the backing pieced  for Argyle Christmas. The batting is in the dryer as I type this. Normally I am not a pre-washer, but Sue Garman wrote a post once about why she always washes and dries the batting, so now I follow suit. Basically the batting gets tossed into the shortest setting available on my washing machine and is run through the cycle. No detergent is added as it isn't dirty. Then into the dryer before sandwiching the quilt. Tomorrow is scheduled for sandwiching Argyle Christmas and starting on the machine quilting.

6 comments:

  1. really like this quilt and the colours are so good together, such a variety too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be glad to get the final border on this one. Then the backing will have to be pieced. I found some bargain fabric at $1.99 per yard (and Kaffe Fassett to boot) at the sale last week that is earmarked for the back. Then off to the longarmer. This one's too big for me to tackle at home,

      Delete
  2. You can tell a lot about a person by the way they choose fabrics for a quilt! This quilt is thoroughly making my eyes dance all over the place! Vibrant colors! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I have been afraid to wash my batting because I am afraid it will make it bulkier to quilt on my home machine. What is your experience? I will have to look for that Sue Garman post.

    Grandmother's Choice is looking great! I love the setting you have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washing the batting does not make it fluffier. I use either Warm 'n White or Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. Plus it takes out any wrinkles or creases in the batting. I find it makes no difference in quilting it on my home machine.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mary Ellen, that is good to know! I will keep it in mind. :)

      Delete